Monday, June 3, 2013

Breastfeeding Struggles

We all know that breast is best; i can't count how many times i have heard/read that statement. Breastfeeding    however did not come naturally to me; contrary to popular belief it was a journey. The initial 3 months were the hardest for me; my nipples were sore, I had an overactive letdown; which means that my milk was shooting out too forcefully/ too fast for my baby causing him to choke, cry out in pain, arch his back and pull off the nipple. Further more, I did not anticipate the number of hours I would spend sitting down and just nursing; I felt like a cow.

Regardless of all this glitches I faced along the way, i was determined to breastfeed my baby; i wanted him to get all that good nutrient, plus i enjoyed the bonding experience. I am glad I stuck to it because I am loving it now; finally got that good latch and found ways to deal with my letdown. However, there has been days/nights where i would just stand in front of the can of formula and stare at it for a good 5 minutes, having an internal struggle of whether to just give in. It got me thinking, why mothers put so much pressure on themselves to breastfeed? I am not saying give up breastfeeding altogether; but if you are struggling and its taking up that crucial bonding time with the baby, by all means reach for that formula; rather a happy mum and baby than a depressed one. What are your breastfeeding experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment